Croeso i ddosbarth Mrs Mathias!
Ein Dosbarth - Our Class:
Mixed class of Year 4/5 pupils
Dosbarth cymysg o ddisgyblion blwyddyn 4/5
Mrs Mathias – Athrawes dosbarth / class teacher
Mrs Helen Davies - Athrawes Cynorthwyol / Class Assistant
Mrs Anne Davies –Athro dosbarth Dydd Gwener
Ein thema / Our theme:
RHUFEINIAID RHEFYGUS / RUTHLESS ROMANS
Language Literacy and Communication:
- Focus on book Escape from Pompeii.
- Write a newspaper front page report in the style of Roman times on the explosion of Mount Vesuvius.
- Oracy task - Use Green screen to record a live news report from the scene in Pompeii as the volcano is erupting.
- Short burst writing - Poem – Volcanoes.
- Relate Latin words and English words that are used today
Mathematics and Numeracy:
- Use Roman numerals in coding tasks.
- Transfer Roman numbers to numbers on Match Attax cards. Value of players in Roman times.
- Use scale to recreate Hadrians Wall on school yard – 2m = 1km
- A mile castle every 3 m
- A turret every 1 m
- A fort every 6 m
Science and Technology:
- Create a catapult – own designs in groups
- STEM Science -
- Follow instructions to carry out an investigation.
- Which catapult can throw the marshmallow furthest?
- Create a Roman road using stones, cement, sand or gravel.
- When did the Roman Empire begin?
- How did it evolve?
- Roman timeline and it’s period in British history. When did the Romans arrive in Wales?
- Where did they settle?
- Trip to the Roman Legion Museum
- Roman inventions.
- Roman Gods and their relevance to daily life in Roman time.
- The Colosseum and gladiators
- Roman soldiers and their weapons
Health and Well-being:
- Compare foods and diet of Roman times and today.
- BBC Bitesize How did the Romans keep clean?
- Compare Roman and modern standards of cleaning and hygiene.
- Cook Roman bread by following recipe and instructions.
- Mosaic art – Study Roman mosaics and design then create a mosaic piece using tiles and grout.
- Sketch a Roman God.
- Study why the Romans worshipped so many different gods.
Gwaith Cartref / Homework:
Caiff gwaith cartref ei osod ar ddydd Mercher – un tasg mathemateg ac un tasg iaith – a gofynnir iddo ddychwelyd dydd Llun.
Homework is given on a Wednesday – one maths and one language task – and is then due back in the following Monday.
Darllen / Reading :
Anogwch eich plentyn i ddarllen pob nos os gwelwch yn dda ac i ddod a llyfrau darllen i ysgol pob dydd.
Please encourage your child to read every night and to bring books to school every day.
Addysg Gorfforol / Physical Education: